Saturday, October 23, 2010

The windows to small or my hips are to big

After dinner I grab my bucket and a few carrots and I am off to gather eggs and feed the animals. I have learned to do the goat yard first because they (Gus) has no patience in waiting to be second. First you fill the food tub with goat grower (cause I am growing some big goats)) then you add a scoop of corn because that's what makes them happy and distracted while I gather eggs in that part of the yard. There is a lock on the inside and outside of the door to the hen house so that when I go in to get eggs I can lock the door so no goats will follow me in there. It's narrow and forcing a large goat out backwards might not be to easy, especially a male with big horns. So I go in and lock the door and get the eggs, I unlatch the lock and push and nothing happens, the door must be stuck, so I push again and it ain't budgin. Many pushes and I discover that the latch on the outside fell down and I am stuck! This wouldn't be such a problem except that Gus doesn't like Scot and he has had a few "incidents" with him while being in the goat yard. The goat yard is now off limits for Scot. It's a male thing you know, don't mess with Gus's girls or he comes after you. Well, even if you don't mess with his girls you can't come in if your a male unless you want to wrestle with him. Soooo, what to do? I never go in there without my cell phone, just incase, and this is one of those just in case times. I call Shawn, he is the one who wrestles Gus to the ground if necessary. Shawn is on his way in town to pick up his daughter and so when I tell him I am locked inside the hen house in the goat yard he starts laughing his butt off. What are you going to do he asks? Well, there is a little window in the hen house and I think I can climb out that way, call you back and let you know. By this time Dolly is wondering where I am and she is calling for me. She is playing in the yard with poppy. I have no choice but to inform Scot that I am stuck. He laughs, then says let me come open the door for you. I yell no no you can't come in here. He opens the gate and Gus hears him and I yell Gus is coming get out! Very quickly he turns around and latches the gate. Well what are you going to do he asks? I am going to climb out this window here. Can you fit? I think I can. The window is up high so I stand on the nesting boxes and put one leg out. It's a good drop to the ground and I am not sure I can get the leverage to do this gracefully. Nope, this isn't going to work. Let me try to go head first I yell. He says you can't do that your going to fall. Looking at the drop he is probably right. And on second thought I don't think my hips will fit and then I will be hanging out the window with my hips stuck and who knows what would happen if that stinky goat came over to see me? He has been rather horny lately with his girls and I didn't want to be stuck there. So I yell I don't think I can fit through this window. Why mention that my butt would be what caused me to be stuck, that's like opening a can of worms with a man! I look up and Scot is getting ready to come in the gate again. I yell no, you can't come in here someone has to take care of Dolly. I envision him plastered to the ground with a huge goat looming over him, stomping on him and worse, and I am stuck and Dolly is all alone in the other yard. Oh the horror of it. He puts his finger to his lips and says shhhhh, he points to Gus who is on his knees busy eating with his back to the gate. Very silently he lifts the latch and opens the gate ever so slowly and latches it again very gently. He actually tip toes across the yard and unlatches the door to the hen house and rapidly tip toes back out the gate and I wait back with the carrot. He closes the gate latch with a clang and Gus pops his head up and swings around and looks at Scot, I yell Gus come get your carrot and he quickly lumbers over to me, eats the carrot and goes back to his tub of food. With a big sigh I leave the yard, latch the gate and put the chain around it. Then we laugh. And if you would have seen Scot tip toeing across that yard you would have laughed too. I called Shawn to share the story with him and again he is laughing his butt off.......Better cut a hole in that door so it won't happen again. Believe me, I totally secure the latch before I go in there so it won't happen ever again.

No comments: