Thursday, November 18, 2010

hair dye and new pajamas


The morning is cool and crisp and it promises to be a beautiful day. Shawn is coming over to "help" with some chicken chores. Sometimes chicken chores involve being in the goat yard and that means Gus to contend with. He's mostly good, but not always good. Big mama (the chicken) was injured, again. Shes big and slow and Sunny steps on her when she gets running around like a crazy goat in the evening. Gus isn't fond of anyone who moves any of his furniture (the spool) or picks big mama up. He adores her. So Shawn gets her out and we put her in the main chicken yard and while we are at it lets shoo a few of these other chickens in the goat yard. Got a 16 to 5 ratio going and I am sure Domino would like a few more hens to boss around. There is a small spot in the chain link fence that was cut out before we got another rooster for the hens to travel from yard to yard. It's patched now with chicken wire. So let me loosen it up and we can shove a few hens through the hole as we coax them with some chicken food. Sure that would work if Gus hadn't come over and managed to squeeze himself under the fence. I carted Dolly out of there fast and watched as he got rowdy with Shawn. Shawn broke the rake handle over his back and Gus rammed his knee pretty hard. Sunny got under the fence too and chickens were scattering every where. I got some corn on the cob to coax him out of the yard but he was torn between eating and giving Shawn a hard time. He got half way home but was "fooling" around to much and then the words came. That's it buster.... your going down! That means Shawn has had enough and he gets on his hands and knees and yanks Gus' front legs and brings him down then sits on him so he can't get up. Meanwhile Sunny willfully heads home to the right yard and I open the gate and let her in. After the take down Gus cooperates and goes home too. I saw Shawn go in the yard with him and hug him, baby him, and I think kiss him too. Brave guy, Gus STINKS! We managed to get 3 hens over to the other yard and aquire goat smell on us. Heres the truth, if Shawn would have left the yard and got on the deck I would have been able to lore Gus out of the chicken yard straight to the goat yard with no problems. Gus just likes to mess with Shawn.
The day progresses with more chores and some play. By evening only one hen is left in the goat yard that we moved over. Sigh...... they always fly over the fence. That particular chicken is sort of small so I guess she couldn't make it over. Later when I was making dinner I looked out the window and the chicken was riding on Gus' back! I think she was trying to get a lift over the fence but Gus was walking the other way. I yelled for Scot to come look because it may never happen again and I got a picture of it.
We captured my neighbors bunny in the front yard that has been loose for weeks. It took me her and her son to catch her but she is safe now and that makes me feel better.
After dinner I went to take a shower and when I took off my sneakers I dumped a ton, well maybe half a ton of dirt and grass all over the bathroom floor..... I grazed my finger with a rotary cutter that day and scratched my arm on chicken wire fencing and there is a chunk of flesh missing on the palm of my hand that I have no idea how I did that. But never fear, I have a new pair of pajamas and a box of hair dye. Funny how that makes you feel better at the end of a long day

No comments: