Monday, November 15, 2010

the jar of worries and fear

this is dedicated to my family, because it is about my family
The jar of worries and fear. We all have one. But how we handle them is another thing. I have a jar. It's a really big jar. Everything I worry about and fear about it is that jar. It has become so heavy and cumbersome. There is something in there from all of you. Some of you have more stuff in there than others. I keep cramming stuff in there and quickly screwing on the cap so it all stays inside. It is on the verge of bursting and the weight of it has become more than I can bear. My shoulders are slumped from dragging it around with me and my eyes are down cast from the shear weight of it. I have neglected to look up and see the beauty and joy that surrounds my very exhistance. The blessings bestowed upon my life from my heavenly father. I want to stay in bed with the covers over my head and not have to deal with that stupid jar. But the answer is right in front of me. Why have I neglected to seek it? Look at this jar, do you see all the darkness that dwells inside of it? Why, I believe I see a few bitter roots growing in there. Those roots are really starting to take hold and wrap themselves around me. They are smothering me. They are holding me down and keeping from me, peace and joy and happiness.

Now that you all are here I want you to gather around. Watch me as I unscrew the lid, stand back while I scoop all the stuff out. I apoligize if any of it falls down upon your head, that may be some of the stuff that belongs to you anyway. I can't keep it any longer. I am throwing it to heaven to lay at the feet of Jesus. Whatever made me think that I could fix all that stuff? Whatever made me think I could change all that stuff anyway? Who am I to assume I could do it? Impossible! Jesus, take it, take all of it and make something beautiful out of it. Make it count for something positive, use your might and power. I release it to you so that your will be done. Remove the scales from my eyes and allow me to see, and appreciate the promises you have for me. Bring me the peace and joy and happiness that are to be mine. Allow me to walk upright again and not slumped over. Help me to be ever grateful for all that I am blessed with. I thank you now for what you have done for me yesterday and I thank you for what you are doing in my heart today and I thank you for what you will bless me with tomorrow and the day after that and the day after that.

Now that my jar is empty I am going to crush it because I won't need it any longer. I don't claim to be perfect, I am far from it. But I can go on from here now that I am free. Now that my heart is free from burdens I can love you all more, and enjoy you all more, and the smile on my face will be genuine. I will always be here for you if you need me for anything, but the worries and the fear won't go into that darn old jar any longer. That's because I broke it, remember? However, I can, and will pray for you. There is only one who can fix it, and with a little team work from you nothing is impossible.

1 comment:

Dottie S said...

Sheila, You have touched my heart today. I too am breaking my jar. Thank you. I love you. Aunt Dottie