Friday, November 12, 2010

The dog next door

We recently got new neighbors and they have a little weeny dog named Ruby. She is very young and squirms and wiggles like a noodle. She doesn't willingly come to you because she is to busy wiggling. We have a ranch fence around the back yard and naturally a little dog like Ruby can fit right through the squares on the fence. So when we are outside and Ruby is outside and not tied to her front porch she comes to visit. This makes Dolly so excited and our dogs are "dog friendly" with other dogs. Dolly squeals with delight as she says Ruby Ruby come here, Ruby keeps going in circles and Dolly might get a quick pet in if she is lucky. Getting Ruby to go home is not an easy task. It's like trying to catch a cricket that keeps hopping.
One Saturday morning as I was finishing in the shower and getting dressed I heard a comotion in the living room then the back door closing and then Dolly crying, Poppy I want to come outside. Then Dolly is trying to tell me something between her tears and excitement and I wasn't understanding any of it! She left the bathroom as Scot appeared to tell me that he was sitting on the couch watching TV and a dog jumped on his lap, not uncommon in our house. He said he went to pet it and then realized it was the dog next door. So Ruby has discovered the doggie door! It was only a matter of time. He said he chased her outside and into the driveway. Then the giggling starts and Dolly is yelling Ruby Ruby come here Ruby is here again Poppy. I am laughing inside and trying not to laugh outside because Scot rolled his eyes and growled and marched out of the bathroom. His patience is minimal mine is maximum. Then I hear march march with stomping feet and the back door opening again. Then Dolly is yelling Poppy I want to come outside. I am smiling at all this, can't help it. It was quite a few minutes before he came back in the house so I guessed he marched to their front door this time. He did and she said she guessed she would have to keep Ruby penned up all day. Duh.... you can't just let your dog visit in peoples doggie doors all day. I am sure Scot's blood pressure was up.
Not done yet folks. It's Sunday morning and I am getting ready for church and what do I hear? Dolly laughing with delight and the sound of nails sliding over the kitchen floor and Dolly yelling Ruby Ruby ... Ruby is here! I am laughing inside again. Then marching feet and a door slamming. This time Ruby shows up with a piece of rope tied to her collar. Scot said he just took her back and tied her up to the other end of the rope. He didn't knock on the door or tell anyone. Wonder if Ruby will come visit us again? My bet is she will whenever she gets the chance, I just hope we are home when it happens. I am imagining what I would find if Ruby spent a few hours in our house alone when no one was there. YIKES!!

No comments: